A couple of days ago, I received an email from a representative at the Home Shopping Network (HSN) asking if I would like to contribute my input on a piece beauty author Carly Woods recently did on how to manage looking well-rested when you’re really not. In Carly’s post titled “4 Overnight Beauty Products You Should Be Using,” she talks about women having to do a “darn good job faking” that we have slept, because let’s face it, 8 hours of sleep (or more) is a luxury usually only reserved for weekends and sick days.
Right now, I am a full-time college student approaching final exams and sleep is becoming a scarce commodity. With seemingly endless projects and due dates on the horizon, sleep is sometimes put on the back burner of things to do. Fortunately, I have discovered a few tricks and tools that help me to maximize the precious sleep I do get! Below are my tips and tricks so you don’t end up looking like this infamous cover of Carrie Bradshaw who seems to have forgotten to utilize her own beauty sleep!
Here are my steps and tools to looking well-rested even when you aren’t:
- First, before you go to bed, make sure to always take all your makeup off entirely (especially eye makeup). I can’t stress how important this is! I know sometimes we get lazy and are too exhausted at the end of the day to do that one extra chore but it’s worth it! I swear by Johnson & Johnson Baby Oil to remove stubborn mascara and eyeliner. It does the job and keeps your eyes moisturized and non-irritated. Plus it’s only about $3!
- Next, to remove the rest of my makeup, I use a soft cleanser (one that doesn’t contain salicylic acid or a product that strips away moisture). Several years ago, a dermatologist recommended I use a Dove Bath Bar to gently wash away a long day from my face and I have done so ever since! These bars of soap are inexpensive and leave your face (and body) feeling moisturized and hydrated.
- After washing everything off your face, it’s important to moisturize (as mentioned in Carly’s post). Not matter the climate you live in, your skin loses moisture at night. I use a light, non-greasy formula by Olay that keeps my skin from drying out.
- DO drink plenty of water before bed! If you are hydrated you look more well-rested the next morning and your skin will be softer and less prone to blemishes.
- DON’T drink alcohol right before bed, it will make you puffy in the morning and cause those dreaded under-eye circles.
- Make sure not to sleep with your phone or computer within arms reach. This has been proven time and time again, if your brain is overly stimulated by the light and countless notifications, emails and messages you are receiving when you should be sleeping, you won’t sleep as well.
I hope those were helpful! Feel free to share with me what your secrets are for faking a good night’s sleep!
For more products or suggestions for you personally visit the HSN Skin Care Products page.
A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to go on the Spring Break trip of a lifetime with 3 other girls! They go to school in Oklahoma and my long-time friend Jessica engineered the idea that we go on a road trip through all the southern states for this year’s spring break. I flew from Los Angeles and met them in Dallas, Texas where we started our trip. After that we traveled to New Orleans, Louisiana; Biloxi, Mississippi; Mobile (and Troy) Alabama; Destin, Florida; Atlanta, Georgia; Charleston (and Myrtle Beach), South Carolina; Nashville (and Memphis) Tennessee; and finally Oklahoma. We also traveled through North Carolina and Arkansas. I touched three oceans in one week, which I thought was pretty cool (Pacific, Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic). In total we drove for about 60 hours over the course of about 3500 miles! I will never complain about a long car ride again! haha
Although we were in each place for a fairly brief amount of time, we had just enough time to sample everywhere and figure out where we want to return to in the future. For me would have to say my favorites were New Orleans and Charleston. Here are some photos I took on the trip with my iPhone 5c and Canon rebel T5i.
Lately, I’ve been channeling my classic rock roots by letting my crazy hair go natural, wearing small amounts of makeup and choosing less tailored clothing I wouldn’t normally go for. I think it’s partially due to the fact that I rediscovered one of my favorite films Almost Famous, and have been listening to Janis Joplin and a couple other members of the 27 club a little TOO much lately.
Earlier this weekend, my friend Nicole and I chose to shoot some photos (and do some shopping) in the Silverlake neighborhood where there’s endless amounts of creative inspiration as well as bountiful sunshine!
What I’m wearing: BCBGeneration Sunnies // Topshop Silk Kimono // American Apparel bodysuit // American Apparel shorts // Steve Madden Schoolz platforms.
Lately, as I said in my last post, I have been FEELIN’ the 90s and the warm LA sunshine the past couple days has allowed me to break out my collection of mini skirts (usually reserved for the summer months). I added some thigh highs and chunky sandals which is TOTALLY something Cher would do in Clueless but instead maybe with a matching plaid top and skirt.
I’m wearing: A Topshop top (from summer/Europe)// Velvet Urban Outfitters Circle Skirt (last fall)// American Apparel Thigh Highs// Steve Madden Sandals// “Dream” Necklace Nordstrom.
Photos: Nicole Loftus
… You know the rest.. This week, I was feeling a little (A LOT) 90s grunge thanks to a project I was working on in my fashion marketing class where I evaluated trends from the decade. What I realized after putting this outfit together was, I’ve had most of these pieces for at least a year. Lately I’ve realized that with mixing older items together, I come up with more creative outfits than just going out and buying similar things (that I probably I already own). One of my goals this year is to keep incorporating older pieces to make new, more interesting looks.
I’m wearing: Jacket: Urban Outfitters // Flannel: Target // Gold “Dream” necklace: Nordstrom // Crop top (underneath): H&M // American Apparel Disco Pants // Converse
Photos : Nicole Loftus
I’m on Pinterest quite often because it’s a great place to get inspired! I decided to take a pointer from many other bloggers and start a board where I showcase my current MOOD. Above is what I most recently pinned. This seemingly endless summer in LA inspired me to choose warm colors with rosy and gold hues giving off a sun kissed vibe.
Follow me on Pinterest to see what else I’m posting and let me know what you think!